The Malt Maniacs just released their 2010 tasting awards. Pretty interesting read, even if most of the whiskies they tasted are so “ultra premium” that I’ll never see a bottle of it, let alone drink any…
Still, of interest to Scotch Noobs like me is their winners in the “Daily Drams” (affordable) category. Reprinted here:
- Non-Plus Ultra Award Lagavulin 16yo (43%, OB)
- Best Natural Cask Award Talisker 10yo (45.8%, OB)
- Best Sherry Cask Award Aberlour ‘A’bunadh’ Batch #30 (59.8%, OB) (woo!)
- Best Cask Innovation Award Kavalan ‘Concertmaster’ Port Cask Finish (40%, OB)
- Best Peated Malt Award Longrow ‘CV’ (46%, OB)
- Thumbs Up Award Bunnahabhain 12yo (46.3%, OB)
See the link above for more awards and the crazy-old whiskies that took the top spots. Looks like I need to try some Longrow.
Update: Aberlour a’bunadh cropped up again on Wine Enthusiast’s “Top 50 Spirits” in the December issue. Also on the list was Balvenie Sherry Oak 17-year, Longrow 7-year Gaja Barolo, and The Glenlivet Archive 21-year. Of those choices, only the Aberlour is less than $120. Go Aberlour!